Terms and Conditions
1. Travel Guidelines
- Always check your water, oil, brake fluid and tyres (tyre pressure and general condition) before departing as any mechanical breakdown due to negligence is for clients own account.
- Always keep left
- 60 km per hour is recommended on gravel roads
- Gravel roads are where most accidents occur
- Night time driving not recommended as insurance does not cover night time driving
- Cash is generally required to pay for your fuel, and debit cards can be used at selective fuel stations only
- DO NOT engage 4x4 on the Double or Single cabs on any tar road or above 60 km/h on gravel roads as it will cause extensive damage to the gearbox.
- In the event of a tyre burst, DO NOT APPLY THE BRAKES. Just take your foot of the accelerator and keep the vehicle in a straight line till it gets to a standstill, then change the tyre.
- If you get involved in an accident with an animal, please contact our office immediately and do not attempt to continue with your journey.
2. Off Road
- Normal Sedan vehicles are not suited to off road conditions, so avoid damage by keeping to the roads.
- Bear in mind that if damage occurs while driving a vehicle in conditions that are not suitable for the vehicle, you may be held responsible for any damage.
- The vehicle supplied to you has gone through a rigorous checking process to ensure that it is in a peak condition for your journey
- Ensure that you know which fuel it uses: (Unleaded Petrol or Diesel)
- All rental cars have standard third party insurance and are insured in case of traffic accidents for 90% of the value. The client is responsible for the deductable/excess of the remaining 10%.
- For this 10% a guarantee by credit card (VISA, Mastercard or Diners Club) is required when arriving at Vulkan Ruine Car Rentals Namibia. This guarantee is cancelled automatically when the car is returned and there are no damages found
- Besides the general exclusions, terms & conditions, also glass damage and tire damages are not covered by this type of insurance and will be the responsibility of the client.
Vulkan Ruine Car Rentals Namibia strongly advises that all our clients take out their own insurance cover for all the following possible incidents that may occur:
- Personal Injury or death due to an accident
- Medical expenses
- Loss of baggage/ theft
- Cancellation or curtailment
- Travel Insurance (Can be arranged on your behalf)
- Emergency Medical evacuation(Can be arranged on your behalf)
The following is not covered by our insurance
- Under Carriage damage not caused by a collision
- Sandstorms or east winds
- Body or Roof –damage not caused by an accident (damage caused by walking or standing on the roof or bonnet
- Tyre side wall damage (damaged tires (punctures, leaking, and/or extraordinary use)
- Damage to personal property
- Death or personal injury
- Burning or damage caused by cigarettes, matches and or lighters;
- Damage caused by rolling the car, without the involvement of another party
- Damaged glass and windows
- Unauthorized drivers
- Failing to obtain authorization to extend the car rental.
- Failure to report an accident or loss to the nearest Namibian Police Station (within 24- hours)
- When you are able to take pictures this is advisable at all times.
- Failure to report an accident or loss to Vulkan Ruine Car Rentals Namibia
- Reckless driving
- Unauthorized Cross Border Rentals
- Failure to produce keys in case of theft
- Failure to report details of last known location of vehicle prior to theft incident
- Exceeding speed limit of 120km/h on a tar road and 80km/h on a gravel road
Single Vehicle Accidents
- Losing the control over the car and rolling the car, bumping a tree while reversing the car, accidents without involvement of a third party are single vehicle accidents.
Coverage by the insurance company
- In both mentioned policies the damages are covered in case:
- it concerns a traffic accident in line with the definition of the insurance company;
- there is no situation of negligence;
- It is not a situation mentioned in the exclusions.
- The used definition of a traffic accident is:
- an accident with the vehicle where another vehicle is involved,
- or where a pedestrian is involved,
- Or where an animal is involved. I
Important: traffic accidents without involvement of other parties, like e.g.
Rolling the car is not covered.
Also not, for example, when one tries to avoid hitting an animal crossing the road.
This is the situation when the driver and/or the passengers are not behaving according to the law or general regulations. Examples when the insurance company is not covering the damages:
- in case of drunk driving;
- in case of speeding;
- in case of crossing a red traffic light;
- in case of driving through water (rivers, swamp, sea), where the water level reaches higher than the axel of the car;
- in the case of wrong use of clutch, gears and engine of the car;
5. Extension of your Rental Period
If you might wish to extend your rental period, please inform us at least 48 – hours (2 days) prior to the expiry date of your original contract.
Failure to do so will result in your insurance cover to lapse and you end up not being insured in case anything happens.
6. Termination of Rental
- On returning the vehicle, we require at least 30 -40 minutes to settle the final charges
- The keys to be handed over to Vulkan Ruine Car Rental staff only
- Vulkan Ruine Car Rentals Namibia will not be liable for any losses incurred by the client due to flights missed.
7. Cross Border Rental
Any vehicle to be taken out of Namibia requires prior authorization/approval and a valid cross border permit.
Travel is allowed to the following countries only:
- Botswana and South Africa
- Travel to Zambia and Zimbabwe is allowed only if visiting the Victoria Falls
8. Breakdown & Roadside Assistance
All vehicles are backed up by a 24-hour breakdown and assistance service. In case of a mechanical breakdown Vulkan Ruine Car Rentals Namibia will assist you within a maximum time of 24 hours directly or through any local workshop.
Certain difficult-to-access areas are excluded; like Damaraland, Kaokoland, Bushmanland, Kaudum National Park.
Namib Desert (Luderitz - Walvis Bay): Entry strictly not allowed at all times
Chobe & Moremi National Parks and surrounding areas: Enter at own risk at all times
No backup can be provided. Renter is liable for all costs resulting from damages, tow-ins, breakdowns, transfers and repairs.
9. Towing cost
The towing cost in case of an accident and not covered damages are always for account of the client.
Maximum 2 drivers allowed per vehicle.
11. Excess & Security Deposit:
N$ 2000 will be held on your credit card to cover traffic fines, fuel shortage and broken or damaged items not covered in the insurance cover and to cover excessive dirt in the cars.
12. General Conditions
- Vehicles must be returned in the same condition as received, including all accessories and equipment and the fuel tank on the same level of fuel as received.
- We reserve the right to substitute vehicles with a similar vehicle,
- We reserve the right to cost the rental agreement and charge the credit card within 72 hours of termination,
- Traffic fines are for your own account and will be charged to your credit card if you do not settle fines before leaving Namibia.
- Vehicle brought back in an excessive dirty condition will be charges N$ 500-00 for cleaning.
- Our rates include Maintenance, VAT, Unlimited mileage, Airport Transfers, Full Third Party Insurance, and 90% Comprehensive Insurance.
- All vehicles are hired subject to our standard Rental Agreement (RA).
- The minimum rental period is 2 days. Daily rates are calculated on a 24 hour basis from time of pick-up to time of drop-off.
- Insurances and waivers exclude damage from sandblast and damage to tyres and personal property.
- All vehicles carry a full Third Party insurance and a comprehensive insurance for 90% of their value. In the event of an insurance claim arising, the renter will be held liable for the excess amount of 10%, security for which must be provided by the renter to the lessor by means of credit card only.
- The excess amount of 10% of the value of the vehicle can be reduced (reduced excess) against payment of a daily fee.
- A valid and unendorsed driver’s license must be produced by the renter / driver. Minimum age is 25 years. Additional drivers and young driver surcharge will be charged.
- Valid driver’s licenses are: An international driver’s license, A European Community driver’s license, any national driver’s license in English. National driver’s licenses in any other language than English must be accompanied by an officially certified translation in English.
- Long term and one-way rentals are available on request.
- Any instructions received from the client during the period of the last 7 days prior to the proposed rental date can for reasons of practical arrangements be accepted on a conditional basis only
- We accept Visa and Master Card credit cards.
- All terms, conditions and rates are subject to change without prior notice.
- DO NOT drive through water unless you know what you’re doing.
- Rates include all standard vehicle accessories
13 Rental Excludes:
Damages which are not covered by the insurance company:
Damage or loss claim
Damages/loss excluded from the insurance
Non-waver able excess
Delivery and collection fees
Breakdown, road-side assistance and recovery charges for negligence
Additional insurance for tyre side wall damage.
Cross border permits
14. Cancellations & no-show:
|No-show or cancellation less than 24-hours’ notice:||100% of the total rental amount will be charged.|
|Cancellation 1-7 days prior to arrival:||75% of the total rental amount will be charged.|
|Cancellation 8-15 days prior to arrival:||50% of the total rental amount will be charged.|
|Cancellation 16 – 30 days prior to arrival:||25% of the total rental amount will be charged.|
|Vehicles brought back outside agreed times on weekends and public holidays will be charged an after hour fee of N$ 400.00.|